This album represents a “première”: not only is it the first recording to be made by the Orchestre de la Suisse Romande (OSR) under its new conductor, Marek Janowski, it is also the first co-production undertaken by the Radio Suisse Romande (RSR) / Espace 2 with an international record company for a recording of the OSR. This collaboration is in accordance with the bonds that have existed between the RSR and the OSR since 1926.
The story behind this relationship is complex and, at times, also eventful. Back in the past, the RSR did not exist as in its present form, but was divided into two stations: Radio-Genève and Radio-Lausanne. These stations each maintained extremely close ties with an orchestra: Radio-Genève with the OSR and Radio-Lausanne with the current chamber orchestra, Orchestre de Chambre de Lausanne (OCL). The radio station was built in Geneva in 1940 around the ‘Big Studio’, which possessed perfect acoustics for the OSR – a studio which was later named after the founder and conductor of the orchestra, Ernest Ansermet.